This online course provides a comprehensive overview of the core skills employed in patient advocacy. Emphasis is placed on access and application of information, critical thinking and reflective practice, creative and collaborative problem-solving, and communication.
This online course is offered as part of the Consumer Health Advocacy Capstone Certificate, or as a standalone non-credit course for students wishing to either explore patient advocacy or enhance their present professional practice. We can not retrospectively convert non-credit courses to credit courses or vice versa.
“I did not expect this class to dig in and heal me, but it did.
I did not expect this class to add this richness to my life, but it did.
I did not think this class would change me, but it has.”
– Lynne, IPA Student
COURSE TOPICS Include:
- Overview of Patient Advocacy
- Overview of US Healthcare and Health Insurance
- Independent Learning and Unlearning
- Patient Perspectives
- Cultural and Narrative Humility
- Listening and Empathy
- Empowerment and Capacity Building
- Ethics and Professionalism
- End of Life
- Framing Decisions
- Creative Problem-solving and Collaboration